Flinders Ranges Council – 2023 Pichi Richi Marathon – Road Closures
Temporary Road Closure
Notice is hereby given that pursuant to Section 33 of the Road Traffic Act 1961 and clause F of the instrument of general approval of the Minister dated 22 August 2013, The “2023 Pichi Richi Marathon” has been declared an event to which Section 33 applies and that the following roads will be closed to vehicle traffic on
Sunday 25 June 2023 between the times of 7.30am and 1.00pm
Roads Closed are:
- Flinders Ranges Way
Between the intersections of West Terrace, Quorn and Woolundunga Avenue, Stirling North (Southbound lanes only) Between 7.30am and 1.00pm
- Park Terrace, Quorn
Between Arden Vale Road and Oval Road, Quorn Between 8.00am and 1.00pm
- Arden Vale Road, Quorn
Between Flinders Ranges Way and Park Terrace, Quorn Between 8.00am and 1.00pm
- Silo Road, Quorn
Between the Caravan Park entrance and West Terrace Between 11.15am and 11.45am
For further information contact The Flinders Ranges Council on telephone (08) 8620 0500 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Keep an eye out for an email with these details and on our Facebook page.
NOTICE UNDER SECTION 33 ROAD TRAFFIC ACT, 1961
I, Garreth Lee Jones, Acting Senior Sergeant of Police, for, and on behalf of the Commissioner of Police, exercise the authority delegated by the Minister for
Transport under Section 11 Road Traffic Act, and make the following order under Section 33 of the Act.
I declare that the ‘41st Pichi Richi Marathon’ is an event to which this section applies and that the following roads be closed to traffic between the listed times on
Sunday 25 June 2023:
Within The Flinders Ranges Council area: –
* Flinders Ranges Way between West Terrace, Quorn and Woolundunga Avenue, Stirling North (southwest bound lanes only)
Between 7.30am and 1.00pm.
* Park Terrace, Quorn between Arden Vale Road and Oval Road
* Arden Vale Road, Quorn between Flinders Ranges Way and Park Terrace Between 8.00am and 1.00pm.
* Silo Road, Quorn between the Caravan Park entrance and West Terrace Between 11.15am and 12.15pm.
I direct that persons taking part in the ‘41st Pichi Richi Marathon’ on the above road
be exempted from all Australian Road Rules relating to pedestrian behaviour on
TEMPORARY TRAFFIC CONTROL DEVICE NOTICE UNDER SECTION 17 (3) ROAD TRAFFIC ACT, 1961
I further declare that the ‘41st Pichi Richi Marathon’ to be conducted in the Flinders Ranges area is a ‘temporary purpose’ to which this section applies.
I direct that a temporary speed restriction will apply to the following roads between 7.30am and 1.00pm on Sunday 25 June 2023:
Within The Flinders Ranges Council area: –
I direct that a 60 km/h speed restriction will apply to the following roads:-
* Flinders Ranges Way between Woolundunga Road, Stirling North and West Terrace, Quorn
I direct that a 25 km/h speed restriction will apply to the following roads:-
* Eyre Highway, Port Augusta for 200 metres east and west of the marathon start location at the Best Western Standpipe Golf Motor Inn
* Flinders Ranges Way, Saltia between a point 200 metres north-east and south-west of the half-marathon start location at Saltia Creek (as per event
traffic management plan)
* Flinders Ranges Way, between a point 200 metres north and south of 10.5 km start location at Old Willows Brewery (as per event traffic management
* Flinders Ranges Way, between a point 200 metres north and south of 5 km start at 4 Winds. (as per event traffic management plan)
I also hereby authorise The Flinders Ranges Council or its agents and contractors to install and remove, or cause the installation and removal of necessary and
appropriate traffic control devices for the conduct of this event.
I direct that the installation and removal of necessary and appropriate traffic control devices for the conduct of this event can only be performed by a person with work
zone traffic management training.
Participants in this event undertake the event wholly at their own risk and shall release and indemnify the Commissioner of Police for any liability for injury or
damage whatsoever inclusive of injury or loss sustained by third parties.
All works to be undertaken must be done so in accordance with the “SA Standards for Workzone Traffic Management” (which calls up the Austroads Guide to Temporary Traffic Management and AS1742.3).
The permit holder must ensure that, a legible and complete copy of this Approval (as either a hard copy or electronic copy) is available at the event site at all times that
workers are present and is immediately provided to an Authorised Officer upon request.
For and on behalf of
COMMISSIONER OF POLICE
30 May 2023.